This dessert is insanely good. I am not kidding! It is a three-tiered bar starting with a Rice Krispy treat on the bottom. Then a peanut butter fudge layer in the middle. Lastly a chocolate fudge layer on top. You will be addicted in no time.
I haven’t eaten or made Rice Krispy treats in ages, so it was fun to get my hands sticky with that part of the recipe. I took few bites as I worked and yum, it was good. Then I moved onto the peanut butter fudge layer which was dangerous for me give my love of peanut butter. And last but not least, the chocolate topping was a great way to finish off the recipe and finish my sampling as I worked.
Despite the 3 layers, it is really easy. You just stack it up, let it sit, and in no time, you are on a sugar high to beat the band. Bring these to a friend’s house, a school event, or anywhere you need to bring a dessert. I got this recipe from Joy the Baker. As she says in her blog, “Give to your friends, they will thank you, sort of”.
Rice Krispy Treat
3 Tbsp butter
1 10 oz package marshmallows (approximately 40)
6 cups Rice Krispy cereal (or any puffy rice cereal)
1) Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add marshmallows and stir constantly until marshmallows are melted. Remove from heat.
2) Add Rice Krispy cereal and stir to mix completely.
3) Use spatula coated with cooking spray or butter to press into 9” x 13” baking pan.
4) Let cool while making peanut butter fudge.
Peanut Butter Fudge
1 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter (I used Teddies Natural Smooth but any kind of peanut butter will work)
1 tsp vanilla
1 pound powdered sugar
1) Microwave butter and peanut butter for 2 minutes on high. Remove from microwave, stir, and microwave for 1 more minute on high (you might need to microwave for longer depending on the strength of your microwave – you want the butter to be melted and for it to stir into a smooth sauce when done).
2) Add vanilla and powdered sugar and stir to mix completely. Pour over Rice Krispy treats and spread evenly. Put in refrigerator to cool while you make the chocolate fudge.
Easy Chocolate Fudge
2 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups mini marshmallows
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1) Combine butter, milk, sugar, and salt in small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
2) Stir in marshmallows, chocolate, and vanilla. Beat by hand for about 1 minute until marshmallows and chocolate are melted and mixture is thoroughly combined.
3) Pour over peanut butter mixture and spread evenly.
4) Place in refrigerator to cool completely and set.
5) When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Cut into small pieces and enjoy!